Saturday, Oct. 28th, 2017: is the 11th running of the Flat & Fast Rural Hall 10K and the 3rd running of the Flat & Fast Rural Hall 5K! Both races are now USATF certified! Our 5K is a Costume Run (optional of course) so you can dress up and have have fun showing off your face paint or outfit as you walk, jog, or run the 5K!
As usual, this is a charity run, with all proceeds over race expenses going to the Rural Hall Elementary School. In 2016, with your support, we were able to give them a net check for $7,566.36! In 2017, our goal will be to exceed $8,000! The school uses all of these funds for student programs that are not budgeted otherwise.
5K Registration Fees (USATF Certified):
Race Date and Times: Saturday, October 28th, 2017. Our race times allow friends and couples to arrive together, with one running the 5K and one running the 10K. The 10K starts at 8:00 AM and the 5K starts at 8:15 AM with both races finishing close to the same time and finish line with the help of our state of the art chip timing technology.
Location: Mayflower Seafood Restaurant Parking lot, 665 Montroyal Rd, Rural Hall, NC 27045. Take Hwy 52 North from Winston Salem, Exit 118, Hwy 65, Rural Hall-Bethania and turn right before the end of the exit ramp into the Mayflower Seafood parking lot.
- $25 thru October 24th*; then $30 for walk ups on race day.
10K Registration Fees (USATF Certified):
- $30 thru October 24th*; then $35 for walk ups on race day
Virtual Runner Registration **
- 5K = $25 thru October 24th*
- 10K = $30 thru October 24th*
*Online registration ends at 6PM on 10/24/17*
**Are you unable to participate on race day?? Register to be a VIRTUAL RUNNER for either race! You will receive a race shirt and swag bag by mail. Run on your own when, where, and if you can. Share your accomplishment with us by posting a picture of you after your virtual 5K or 10K on our Facebook page hashtag #flatandfast5K10K!
We will do our best to fill sizes on a first come/first serve basis while supplies are available after 10/24 and including walk up registrations on race day.
Race t-shirts guaranteed if registered by October 24.
Race day walk up registration will start at 6:15 AM for all events inside the lobby of Mayflower Seafood, Rural Hall, NC. Please arrive early to allow time to process. Race day registration closes promptly at 7:45 AM for the 10K and 8:00 AM for the 5K.
There will be a $5.00 bib number change fee on race day for anyone wanting to switch divisions (from 10K to 5K, or 5K to 10K), but free changes can be made prior to October 24 by writing to Steve Hill, race director: firstname.lastname@example.org so we'll have time to make changes in our system before bib numbers are programmed. We use different colored bib numbers for each race so our course volunteers can properly keep each runner on course for the race they are running, so these much be changed on race day!
Awards for 5K and 10K (separate awards for each race)
Top 3 Male and Female Overall
Top 3 Male and Female Age Groups: age 19 and under, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-69, Masters 70+
5K only - $50, $30, & $20 cash prizes for best costume (judging at starting line, 8:10am)
Course Maps - both our 5K and 10K are now USATF certified courses!
5K Street Map
5K Course Certification and Official Map
10K Course Map
10K Course Certification and Official Map
IF YOU DIDN’T RUN LAST YEAR, HERE’S A FEW CHANGES YOU’LL NOTICE THIS YEAR:
5K – we added a 5K two years ago, which is absolutely flat, and it is now USATF certified!! It was an instant hit with our runners! As a flat course, it's great for first time runners or walkers, for runners coming back from an injury, or for anyone wanting to beat their previous 5K times! We can’t include pets, but joggers, fast walkers, or even runners pushing strollers are welcome as long as you can finish the 5K within 75 minutes. After a staggered start, both races will be run simultaneously so runners can even arrive and celebrate together with one running the 10K and the other running the 5K! As you will see below, we will have 66 awards for each race, so every runner has an excellent chance of going home with one! Do the math, 183 runners and 132 awards, that is pretty good odds of going home with an award! Starting last year, we now encourage runners of our 5K to wear costumes and will award cash prizes to the best 3 costumes!
CHIP TIMING – Last two years, our runners have had nothing but praise for our new partnership, with Go Sports Timing & Events to provide instant results reporting on a large flat screen TV as runners cross the finish line! Using chips located in the runner bibs, this allows us to give out awards as soon as the last runner crosses the finish line in a given race without the usual delays waiting for results to be compiled! It also allows accurate and efficient management of both races with all runners using a common finish line!
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND We will continue to pamper you with:
(1) AWARDS: We give trophies for the best 3 male & best 3 female runners overall in each race! Then we award Olympic style Gold-Silver-Bronze medals to the top three males & females in each of 11 age groups: age 19 & under, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-69, and 70+. With 66 awards for each race, every runner will have an excellent opportunity to take home a medal or trophy! NEW: For the 5K only, cash prizes of $50, $30, & $20 will be awarded to the top three best costumes as judged by our volunteers at the starting line!!!
(2) INSIDE REGISTRATION: We offer walk up registration on race day, starting at 6:15am, inside the lobby of Mayflower Seafood in Rural Hall with quick pre-registered packet pickup inside the lobby as well! Clean restrooms are available for all runners inside, along with doughnuts and coffee. We also have 4 port-a-johns near the start/finish line to help reduce the bathroom lines right before race time!
(3) FOOD, MUSIC, CHEERING CROWDS TO WELCOME YOU TO THE FINISH LINE!!! We will continue to spoil our runners with plenty of goodies at the finish line (water, chocolate milk, Gatorade, coffee, bananas & other fruit, pastries, cookies, doughnuts, etc.). We will again have a DJ playing family friendly music at the start/finish line with runners being announced & cheered as they finish their respective races! We’ve once again invited the Cheering Hearts (our own senior citizens award winning cheer leading squad) to greet runners as they reach the finish line and then to keep them entertained with line dancing and other crowd pleasing fun as they wait for other runners to finish.
(4) USATF CERTIFIED - 10K COURSE: (same as last 5 years). As you know, it’s a relatively flat course for this area with 3 hills in the first leg of the course, and then completely flat, running in the blocked off right lane of a three lane highway (Hwy 65)! The first hill is a long one but a relatively low grade as you return from near the end of Forum Parkway and then right onto Old Beltway up to Angus, then up a small rise to Hwy 65. There are two more hills as you turn right on Sommerdale and meander through the neighborhood and back to Hwy 65 via Runningbrook (okay, that last hill is pretty steep, but fairly short). The rest of the course from there is totally flat! We will continue to mark the course well and staff it with deputies managing traffic at intersections and course volunteers at every turn! We also have volunteers with stop watches calling out interim times as you pass each of six mile markers for the 10K! We not only protect our runners most of the course by asking NCDOT to allow us to close that lane of Hwy 65 for several hours, but we also try at all times to give runners the right of way at intersections and cross streets over automobile traffic, thus improving runner times.
(5) SHIRTS: A sporty logo for our custom printed HanesBrands shirt is shown above! We guarantee choice of shirt sizes to those pre-registering by October 24th and offer T-shirts to others as supplies last.
(6) ONLINE REGISTRATION WITH THE SAME LOW FEES and add no “convenience fees” to use our online registration site.
Please forward this information to any running friends or acquaintances that you have e-mail addresses for!
We love our runners and do our best to give everyone an experience worth repeating each year, while raising funds for a great cause! Group discounts are available for 10 or more runners from the same running club, organization, or school pre-registering as a group by mail on customized registration forms that we will provide. Call or email me for details so I can send you these forms just for your group (see contact info below):
Flat & Fast Rural Hall 5K/10K
Steve Hill, Race Director, 336-969-9511, email@example.com
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
“Like” us at: https://www.facebook.com/RuralHall10K
Register online at: http://FlatandFastRuralHall5K10K.itsyourrace.com
Chip timing and finish line provided by Go Sports Timing: http://www.gosportstiming.com